What does it mean to travel with Minors?

Firstly, what are minors? According to the Department of Home Affairs anyone under the age of 18 is considered as a minor. The law as of 1 June 2015 requires all minors to have an unabridged birth certificate with them in addition to their passport.

What does this mean?

1. Minors travelling with both parents require 1 additional document – unabridged birth certificate

2. Minors travelling without one of their parents require the unabridged certificate and a signed affidavit from the absent parent stating that the parent gives permission for the minor to exit the country.

3. Minors travelling with a guardian require, the unabridged certificate and signed affidavits from both parents stating that the parents give permission for the minor to exit the country.

More details may be found on the Department of Home Affairs Website or call them on 0800 60 11 90 (toll free from South Africa)
The document can be found here

Official Press Briefing by the Minister – Traveling With Minors

Travelling with minors

Is it anything to worry about?

Yes it does sound like an effort to have all of these extra pieces of documentation but the reasoning behind this according to the Department of Home Affairs is to reduce child trafficking. It might not be a proven way to reduce it but let us hope it helps.

What do I as a Parent do?

    1. Get an unabridged certificate for your child if you do not have one, most recent ones are correct
    2. Have a few copies certified and take it with, perhaps email a certified copy to yourself as well
    3. Whilst you at the Commissioner of Oaths have a letter drawn up by the parent / partner who is not travelling
    4. Enjoy your time away with your child

Book Cheap Flights

Travelling With Minors

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to top